Today we start our campaign to raise awareness of dangers of Asbestos in the workplace.
- Plumbers could come into contact with asbestos more than 100 times a year
- Few workers knowing whether the deadly material is present in buildings
- Less than 1/3 of tradespeople were aware of the correct ways to deal with it
- Only 15% know that asbestos could still be found in buildings built up to the year 2000
- 1.3 million tradesmen are at risk from dangers of asbestos
- 1 in 50 plumbers born in the 1940’s and have worked in the industry for 10 years are most at risk of developing an asbestos disease
- 414 plumbers died between 2002-2010 as a result of an asbestos disease
- Asbestos exposure kills 4 plumbers every week
Macoun Energy is supporting a campaign to raise awareness of Asbestos in the workplace. I recently entered the “UK Plumber of the Year Competition” and have been short listed to a final 15. As part of my plan to raise awareness of the dangers of Asbestos I am donating all of my (potential) winning from the competition. There is £10,000 in prizes up for grabs which I intend to auction and give the money to the Mesothelioma Charity which help treat and prevent asbestos related diseases.
Can you please help me win this prize by voting for me as the best UK plumber by going to the following website and signing over your support:-
 Burdett G, Bard D (2003), Pilot study on the exposure of maintenance workers (Industrial Plumbers) to asbestos, HSL MF/2003/15